EQUAL OPPORTUNITY POLICY
1.0 POLICY STATEMENT
(OOPC) Okomu Oil Palm Company is committed to providing equal opportunity to each employee. Our employment beliefs and standards mean that we will not discriminate when making decisions on hiring, promotion or retirement on the grounds of the employees' or candidates' race, colour, gender, age, social class, religion, tribe, sexual orientation, politics, or disability- subject to the inherent requirements of the role to be performed. A fundamental aim is to ensure a diverse and representative workforce profile through the promotion of employment equality.
This policy applies to all Stakeholders of OOPC (including temporary contractors and third party staff).
The Human Resource Department is responsible for the effective enforcement of this Policy.
This Policy sets out OOPC's position on equal opportunity in all aspects of its employment, including recruitment, training and promotion. In the conduct of its business, OOPC endeavors to:
- Comply with all legislation dealing with discrimination and promotion of equality, and other applicable requirements to
which the Company subscribes, including the ILO Convention concerning discrimination in respect of employment and occupation;
- Establish and maintain a working environment, terms and conditions of employment, practices and procedures which ensure all existing and prospective employees are treated equally and fairly;
- Ensure mechanism are in place for responding to complaints of discrimination from employees;
- Ensure that partnership arrangements -wherein partners are commissioned to provide services (for example contractors) to the company -similar policies that cover equal opportunities or adopt this policy.
- Periodically review the Equal Opportunity Policy to ensure that it remains relevant and applicable.
- Advertising for posts will give sufficiently clear and accurate information to enable potential applicants to assess their suitability for the post.
- The recruitment content will not imply a preference for a certain group of applicants unless there is a genuine occupational qualification which limits the post to this particular group, and if so, this must be clearly stated.
- Wherever possible, all vacancies will be advertised simultaneously internally or externally.
- Steps will be taken to ensure that knowledge of vacancies reaches under-represented groups internally and externally.
- All selection will be thorough, conducted against defined criteria and will deal only with the applicant's merits and suitability for the job.
- Wherever possible, more than one person must be involved in the selection interview and recruitment process, and all should have received training in equal opportunities
- Reasons for selection and rejection of applicants for a post must be recorded.
- All employees will be encouraged to discuss their career prospects and training needs with their Manager or the Human Resource Department.
- Under-represented groups will be encouraged to apply for training and employment opportunities with the company, Wherever possible, special training will be provided for such groups to prepare them to compete on genuinely equal terms for jobs and promotion.
- Wherever possible, efforts will be made to identify and remove unnecessary/unjustifiable barriers and provide appropriate facilities and conditions of service to meet the special needs of disadvantaged and/or under-represented groups.
- In order to ensure the effective implementation of the Equal Opportunity Policy (and for no other purpose) a record will be kept of all employees' and job applicants' racial origins and physical ability
- Such records will be analyzed periodically for appropriate follow-up action to be taken.
- The company shall ensure that it has access to the widest labour market and secures the best employees for its needs.
- The company shall ensure that no applicant or employee receives less than favorable treatment, and that, wherever possible, they are given the help they need to attain their full potential to the benefit of the Company and themselves.
- The company shall achieve an ability-based workforce which is in line with the working population mix in the relevant labour market areas.
The cooperation of all employees is essential for the success of this Policy. However, ultimate responsibility for achieving the policy's objectives, and for ensuring compliance with the relevant Acts as well as the various Codes of Practice, lies with the Company
Any behavior or actions that breach the spirit and/or the letter of the laws on which this policy is based will be considered a breach of the disciplinary rules of the company.