1.0 POLICY STATEMENT
Okomu Oil Palm Company (OOPC) recognizes the value, importance and necessity of sustainably managing its operations such that the present needs of society are met without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs and enjoy the same, or better, resources than we have today.
This policy applies to all employees, stakeholders and contractors including temporary contractors and third party staff) of OOPC.
OOPC is committed to minimizing the environmental impact of its operations and in implementing this policy and will:
- Comply with all applicable environmental management laws and obligations, and other environmental requirements to which OOPC subscribes;
- Implement and maintain an Environmental Management System across its global operations, conforming to the requirements of ISO 14001, as well as other relevant external certifications criteria and OOPC Standard Operating Procedures and Best Practices;
- Achieve continuous environmental improvement with objectives and targets so as to minimize our environmental footprint;
- Minimize or prevent land, air and water pollution through reduced use of chemicals, resource conservation, waste reduction, recycling and reuse and proper waste disposal in every area of activity;
- Prevent soil erosion and degradation through adoption of best practice in agricultural management;
- Minimize impacts on biodiversity across all aspects of our operations;
- Communicate and promote this Environmental Policy with the aim of ensuring that both employees (at all levels and functions of the organization) and stakeholders business partners (including suppliers, contractors, joint venture partners and smallholders) are aware of the environmental impacts of OOPC activities as well as their individual obligations;
- Educate and train employees on environmental and related issues and encourage their participation and cooperation to minimize any adverse impact on, and to protect the environment;
- upport our joint venture partners and small holders to adopt and implement these principles; and
- Periodically review this Environmental Policy to ensure it remains relevant and applicable to our business.