SEXUAL HARASSMENT AND VIOLENCE IN WORK PLACE
Doing business with Okomu is easy if you are willing and capable of complying with our basic policies that brings dignity to work and enhances/protect our integrity.
One of such is the Sexual Harassment and Violence in Work Place.
- POLICY STATEMENT
A working environment devoid of sexual harassment and violence in the workplace ensures that all staff are able to
work in a conducive atmosphere, thereby creating an environment of mutual respect that ensures higher productivity
and wellbeing to all concerned. Because of OOPC's strong disapproval of all offensive or inappropriate sexual
behavior or violence at work, all employees must avoid any action or conduct which could be viewed as such.
The purpose of this policy is to ensure that OOPC's workplace is free from sexual harassment and violence at all times.
This policy is applicable to every person on the company's premises at any time, including, but not limited to all staff
and their families and friends, contractors, third parties, visitors and suppliers of OOPC.
4.1 Sexual harassment: Unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors and other verbal or physical
conduct of sexual nature, or any direct or indirect advance that is construed to be sexual in nature through any
4.2 Violence in workplace: includes, but is not limited to intimidation, bullying, stalking, threats, physical attack,
property damage or domestic and family violence.
OOPC has devised the following measures to curb sexual harassment and violence in the workplace which must be
strictly adhered to by every individual associated with the company. OOPC will also heighten awareness of partner on
partner violence and provide guidance for staff, contractors and third parties in this regard OOPC will not permit:
- Sexual pranks, or repeated sexual teasing, jokes or innuendos, either in person, phone and/or via email
- Verbal abuse of a sexual nature
- Touching or grabbing of a sexual nature
- Standing too close to or brushing up against a person
- Repeatedly asking a person to socialize during off duty hours when the person has indicated no interest
- The unnecessary giving of gifts or leaving of objects that are sexually suggestive.
- Making or posting sexually suggestive gestures
- Off-duty unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that affects the work place environment
- Any person who is allegedly harassed shall report his/her complaint to the Human Resource Controller (HRC) or
- Any alleged harasser shall face disciplinary action (as per OOPC discipline SOP).
- False allegations by the complainant will lead to disciplinary action and possibly termination of employment, as
per OOPC Disciplinary SOP.
- Contractors, visitors or suppliers found guilty will be blacklisted from the company and may be subject to legal
action by OOPC and/or the complainant if found guilty of the offence.
- HRC shall ensure implementation and monitoring of this policy.
- This policy will be communicated to all workers, staff, contractors, third parties, visitors and suppliers (as per
OOPC communication procedure GP10).
- Any person whatsoever who is allegedly engaged in workplace violence as defined by this policy, possesses, uses,
or threatens to use an unauthorized weapon, as defined by Nigerian law, or engages in off duty violence or
misconduct that has a potential adversely impact on OOPC and its employees, suppliers and visitors, violates this
policy and shall be considered as unacceptable, personal conduct, and shall be dealt with under the provisions as
stated in the disciplinary standards operation procedure (SOP).